This week’s exercise looked at Valentine’s day spending in the US. I liked the original viz – the color scheme seemed appropriate for the topic. I liked the images and felt the size and images conveyed what they were intended.
After setting up the data set I started creating the calculated fields I needed:
- The first was to create a date field from the Year field in the dataset – DATE(“02″+ “/” + “14” + “/” + STR([Year])) .
- I then created a couple of measures fields for the % Buying and the Avg Net Spend – IF [Metric] = ‘Percent Buying’ THEN [Measure] END and IF [Metric] = ‘Net Average Spend’ THEN [Measure] END
I wanted a custom shape for whatever I ended up creating – I found a free clip art heart online bought that into PowerPoint did a couple of updates to it and saved it to my custom shapes file.
After creating a few different views I decided to keep it simple and focus on what people were buying for Valentine’s day from 2010 – 2016. I tried line charts and bar charts with the hearts and then thought this may be a good time to give a bump chart a try.
Matt Chambers has a great post on his site that walks you through how to create a bump chart and I used that as a refresher. In order to get the bump chart to work I had to create a couple of more calculated measures:
- Rank for the % Buying – RANK_UNIQUE(SUM([% Buying]))
- Prior Year Ranking – LOOKUP([Rank % Buying],-1)
- Difference From Prior Year – IF [Rank % Buying] > [Prior Year Ranking] THEN ‘down from the prior year’
ELSEIF [Rank % Buying] = [Prior Year Ranking] THEN ‘the same as the prior year’
ELSEIF [Rank % Buying] < [Prior Year Ranking] THEN ‘up from the prior year’
I wanted the prior year and difference from prior year for the tooltip.
After getting the bump chart working I tested out a couple of different color schemes and found the purple to be a bit easier on the eyes than the red I had intended on using.
There is a lot more I could have done with the dataset this week, but, overall I’m pretty happy with what I created. The color scheme is different for me and I was happy with the custom shape and the bump chart. For the next few months I’m going to experiment more with the design side.