January 2020 Sports Viz Sunday

The topic for the first #SportsVizSunday of 2020 is personal health data. I took some leeway with the topic and looked at my golf handicap index and scores. I normally walk the golf course and golf impacts my mental health (sometimes positive and sometimes negative). There were a few times this year where I thought about buying a boat.

For #SportsVizSunday, I wanted to look at where my index fell in relation to other women who keep a handicap and highlight the scores that count towards my current index. As with most public work I do, I like to keep it simple. I spend a lot of time during the week working on dashboards so in my free time I tend to keep it light and simple.

The 2019 season was a bit all over the place for me. I struggled with my irons for the last two seasons and that definitely impacted my score. While that aspect was off the rest of my game was in good shape and that helped me get my handicap index down to an 18.4.

I play most of my golf at two different courses and wanted to see what my score and differentials looked like at those two courses. I felt like I played better at Furnace Brook because I hit my fairway woods and hybrid more than I hit my irons. The data backed that up. I scored better (based on differential) at Furnace Brook than at William J Devine.

my differential at the Brook was 4 strokes lower than at the Park

In 2020 I’m going to track more of my golf stats and visualize them to see where I can get better. I know where I struggle with my game, but, seeing the data makes it a bit more real.

#PreppinData Week 1 2020

The first #PreppinData challenge for 2020 was to recreate Ryan Sleeper’s financial statement table using data from the fictitious Chin & Beard Suds Co.

To do this we need to:

  • get the profit totals
  • get the profit subtotals
  • update the blanks with the total & subtotals
  • indent the 2nd & 3rd level data

This is the initial view of the data. Based on the naming convention of the Item my first thought was to split off the number portion of the field and use that as a way to create a hierarchy.

PreppinDataWeek12020S_1

I used the custom split tool to parse the field off a space and took the first field. I trimmed any extra spaces and renamed this field Item Id. These are the calculations:

PreppinDataWeek12020S_2

I then created by hierarchy levels taking the left X number of characters from the new item id field. My thought was I would use these to get the totals & subtotals. These are the fields I created for the hierarchy:

PreppinDataWeek12020S_3

I also created a new field with the indented item names:

Format Item Name

IF LEN([Item ID]) = 2 THEN [Item]
ELSEIF LEN([Item ID]) = 3 THEN SPACE(5) + [Item]
ELSEIF LEN([Item ID]) = 5 THEN SPACE(10) + [Item]
END

 

After I had my levels I then created two aggregates to get the totals and subtotals. The first one sums the profit by my new top level field and the second one sums the profit by the new second level field. I joined both of these aggregates back to the prior step where the top level in to totals aggregate = the item id & where the second level = the second level.

PreppinDataWeek12020S_5.PNG

The last step is the clean up step. I this step I have 11 changes to the joined data.

  • remove the duplicated fields from the joins.
  • merge the profit field from the initial step with the profits from the aggregates
  • rename the merged profit fields to profit
  • created a calculated field to get the length of the item id field to sort my rows correctly
  • renamed the Format Item Name field to item name
  • removed any remaining unnecessary fields

PreppinDataWeek12020

This was a great challenge to kick off the 2020 #PreppinData series. I love the formatting idea from Ryan and have a few ideas of how I can implement both Ryan’s table and this PreppinData challenge in my day to day work.

If anyone is interested in getting a copy of my flow please let me know. I am more than happy to share my approach.

Happy Preppin!